Re: Coordination for developer documentations

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 07:05:30PM +0100, Frederic Peters wrote:
I was mostly concerned by our technical infrastructure for developer
documentation, but that itself has of course been driven by the
content we produced (or wanted to produce), so I don't think they can
really be separated.

For the content, what is really needed in my opinion is a good and
recent book on GLib and GTK+. GTK+ 3 is maybe too unstable for writing a
book, but GLib (including GObject and GIO) is stable enough. It could be
a simple update of an existing book, such as The Official GNOME 2
Developer's Guide.

The book should also be freely available on the web, with a free license
(Creative Commons for example).

If the book focus on the C language, it makes sense to write also
chapters on how to write good libraries, how to design good APIs with
GObject, what are the best practices, etc. This is something less well
documented. And this can also be beneficial for internal code in
applications, not just libraries.

----

Another thing, I see sometimes on IRC some questions about how to use a
certain API, or questions on some details not documented. Ideally when
such a question is answered, the API documentation should be improved at
the same time, so it benefits other people. I don't know if such small
improvements are often done, but if everybody takes the time to write
patches for the documentation when a problem is encountered, the
documentation will get better over the time.

Best regards,
Sébastien