Re: touch screen support

Hey Richard,

On vie, 2014-01-17 at 18:07 +0000, Richard Henwood wrote:
Hi All,

I have been using gnome 3.10 with a touch screen and gnome 3.8 with a
stylus+tablet using absolute positioning.

With both interfaces, I have the following pain points:

+ I can't access the bar at the bottom of the screen (gnome-shell?)
that has the eject functionality etc. I typically get this by running
the mouse off the bottom - which is not possible with a touch screen
or stylus/tablet with absolute positioning.

That is a known problem... fixable when gnome-shell gets to handle
desktop-level gestures.

+ The scroll bars are tricky to use when I have a long list (like my
email). A single pixel movement on the scroll bar can sometimes mean
more than one new page of the list is displayed. Button at the top or
bottom that support small increments do not exist.

Most scrollable contents in GTK+ applications should be touch-friendly,
with the notable exception of WebKitWebView based widgets. You should be
able to scroll by doing 1-finger touch atop the contents, not only
touching on the scrollbar. What hardware is that? Stylus+tablet sounds
Wacom, but that about the touchscreen? What xorg input driver are those
devices using? what email client is that?

I would appreciate guidance on the first steps I can take to help the
gnome touch screen support effort.

There's definitely a few rough points, you can check the general state
of things in https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Touchscreen , issues are
quite scattered as you see so there's a few ML and IRC channels involved
unfortunately, #gnome-hackers should have most of the involved people
around though.

Cheers,
  Carlos