Re: GNOME HIG: Feedback Wanted

Hi everyone,

first, thanks to the designers for putting so much good work into the HIG!

Some feedback from me:

Typography
----------------
One thing that is missing IMO in the font size discussion is the uglieness of absolute font sizes. In the "Universal Access" menu you have the "Large Text" option: if you use absolute font sizes these wont scale to that making this an accessibility issue. So using something like "font-size: 80%" should be recommended IMO.

In addition, to keep the font-size diversity small I'd for now advise to use 80% for small texts and some other value for large texts. There are two advantages about this and the 80% is not accidentally:
- The adwaita theme uses 80% for some small texts so we should stick for this value for consistency.
- Having a large text value makes applications more consistent to each other anyway.

On long term it would be nice if the theme would provide some css classes small-text, large-text. Then we could recommend using those instead of having our application developers dealing with those issues which should IMO be solved by the theme.

Visual Layour - Margins
----------------------------------
I'd like to avoid numbers on long term here. Spacing could be done by the theme by providing spacing related classes IMO.

Hardcoded Colors
-------------------------
Note that I didnt read the whole thing yet, but: I didnt find anything like "dont use hardcoded colors they are evil and screw up your design if someone uses e.g. the accessibility theme". And I searched. So IMO it is either too well hidden or it should come in.

Accessibility
------------------
Although blind users are probably not the main target group I think GNOME is proud to provide one of the most accessible linux desktops. I think it would be nice to have an accessibility page somewhere. Some advise how to make the application accessible to everyone without throwing away the mouse & screen one day, because noone really does the latter.

More may follow later.

Lasse

Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:

> I'm about halfway done reading. I have a few suggestions, all minor:
>
> * The Visual Layout page discusses how many pixels to use as margins.
> This is easy for developers to use, but it caused some confusion on LWN
> given that on hidpi displays twice as many pixels will be used. Maybe
> this should be clarified.

I'm a bit reluctant to do that. The guidelines don't generally comment
on technical details.

> * On the Dialogs page: "In particular, it is currently not recommended
> to make the Close button the default in an instant apply window, as this
> can lead to users closing the window accidentally before they have
> finished using it."  I think you can remove the word "currently," unless
> you're planning to change your mind. :)

Fixed.

> * Regarding the keybindings page: Ctrl+Alt+Delete is power off, not log
> off, and it is not disabled default, although it shows up in g-c-c as
> log off. [1]

Fixed.

> * Throughout the HIG, you're mostly consistent in using ' and " instead
> of the ’ and “ characters that are mandated by the Typography page. Some
> search and replace might be appropriate here, to set a good example. :)

Indeed! Fixed.

> * On the index page: "If you have never read the Human Interface
> Guidelines before, it is recommended that you start with the essentials
> section, in particular the design principles page, before continuing to
> learn about the design patterns." But this text is in the description
> for the Interface elements section, not the Patterns section.

Missing markup to break the paragraph - fixed.

Excellent catches, Michael. Thanks so much.

Allan