Re: GNOME HIG: Feedback Wanted

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM, Lasse Schuirmann
<lasse schuirmann gmail com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

first, thanks to the designers for putting so much good work into the HIG!

Some feedback from me:

Typography
----------------
One thing that is missing IMO in the font size discussion is the uglieness
of absolute font sizes. In the "Universal Access" menu you have the "Large
Text" option: if you use absolute font sizes these wont scale to that making
this an accessibility issue. So using something like "font-size: 80%" should
be recommended IMO.

In addition, to keep the font-size diversity small I'd for now advise to use
80% for small texts and some other value for large texts. There are two
advantages about this and the 80% is not accidentally:
- The adwaita theme uses 80% for some small texts so we should stick for
this value for consistency.
- Having a large text value makes applications more consistent to each other
anyway.

On long term it would be nice if the theme would provide some css classes
small-text, large-text. Then we could recommend using those instead of
having our application developers dealing with those issues which should IMO
be solved by the theme.

There's no need to clamor for css here - Pango has always provided
markup and attributes to do relative font sizes, like this:

normal <span font_size="larger">big</span> <span
font_size="smaller">small</span>