Re: Porting GNOME to Wayland

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:

I'm asking this out of my own curiosity... what kind of porting work
would be required for an 'application' to be ported to wayland ?

Shouldn't that be transparent for most applications by virtue
of linking against the new default wayland GDK backend ?

i.e. usage of the gtk+-3.0.pc would imply wayland anyway
in the bright future where GTK+ is installed on a wayland
capable system, right ?

Will applications need to update configure.ac to specify
a specific GDK backend ? (for systems which might
offer both GTK+ backends, x11 and wayland ?)

And... basically I suppose we're mostly talking about applications
which explicitly #include <gdk/gdkx.h> that might need any
porting, if any applications do need porting ?

Emmanuele answered all of this already, but just to give an
impression, https://live.gnome.org/Wayland/Applications shows how the
applications in the gnome modulesets are doing on Wayland, currently.