Re: Porting GNOME to Wayland

On 15/03/13 18:32, Matthias Clasen wrote:
For more details about Wayland see: http://wayland.freedesktop.org
For more details about this proposal, see http://live.gnome.org/Wayland

Let me know what you think,

Hi Matthias, I had a few questions to satisfy my own curiosity :)

I am neutral here (before I say anything further) - I do not prefer X or anything else.

What are the benefits of moving to Wayland?
  Performance improvements?
  Smaller memory footprint?
  Something else?

Is this likely to cause regressions or be problematic with OpenGL or Wine based aps/games running on the GNOME shell desktop? I understand vaguely the relationship between GTK+ and Wayland, but not how a raw GL based application or how a Wine based app would work with Wayland?

Why do I ask this? Well, I've started playing more Steam games on Linux recently and historically played many through Wine and want to know the user impact.

Thanks,

--
Regards,
Martyn