Re: Porting GNOME to Wayland

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 12:10 +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
What are the benefits of moving to Wayland?

I rather enjoyed the recent talk [1] given by Daniel Stone six weeks ago
at LCA. I'd encourage anyone interested in learning more about Wayland
who doesn't already know everything about it to watch the video [2].

[1]: http://lca2013.linux.org.au/schedule/30256/view_talk?day=friday
[2]: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.conf.au/2013/mp4/The_real_story_behind_Wayland_and_X.mp4

Most of the talk is describing all the things that have piled up as a
result of ~4 decades of decisions in the design and implementation of
the X server

[I'll apologize for encouraging you to watch something where there are
lots of interjections from the audience that didn't make it to the audio
track, but the room was full of X hackers - Kieth Packard and Carl
Worth, that this list would know. Others, too]

The end result is that [people who would know] having described all of
X's shortcomings, Daniel then describe what Wayland *is*. It didn't take
very long. And there in lies the answer to Martyn's question, I think.

You can draw your own conclusions, but it's pretty impressive when
people can step back from their work, learn from it, and head in a new
direction. I surely can't wait for GTK and GNOME to be fully standing on
this (much thinner) infrastructure.

AfC
Sydney