Re: AppData proposal

On 21 August 2013 15:00, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
There are cases where you'd want a different name in an software
center to the search term in the shell..
Which case? I think any app that does that is broken.

TrackerGUI wants to be "Search" in the menu, but probably ought to be
"Tracker" in the software center. Similar for "Videos" -> "Totem".

I also feel like the system of "describing this application" has to be done
in a common format by one of other OS vendors. Have we looked into what
Ubuntu, OS X, iOS, Android, and Windows do for this? Is it an XML-based
format we can share?

I don't think it's worth the pain of interoperability just to share 2
or 3 fields, but I'm open for ideas if anyone has any more details of
something suitable.

Richard