Re: AppData proposal

On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 15:13 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 21 August 2013 15:00, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
There are cases where you'd want a different name in an software
center to the search term in the shell..
Which case? I think any app that does that is broken.

TrackerGUI wants to be "Search" in the menu, but probably ought to be
"Tracker" in the software center. Similar for "Videos" -> "Totem".

But if I see ‘Videos’ in the menu on my friend’s computer and I want to
install it on mine because it looks cool, surely then Totem should
appear when I look for ‘Videos’ in the software centre? It would be
useful if all the keywords used for launcher matching in gnome-shell
were also used for search matching in software centre. I’ve spent too
much time second-guessing package names and descriptions with yum when
trying to install a new application.

Philip