Re: AppData proposal

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
On 21 August 2013 14:35, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> I think it'd really help a lot if we had a model where we figure out how
> to generate some of it from a canonical source.  For example, if we're
> now going to say that AppData is canonical, we should generate
> the .desktop file content from that.

That's a good idea, but I'm not sure if AppData wants to be a superset
of the desktop specification. I think it's related, but orthognal.
There are cases where you'd want a different name in an software
center to the search term in the shell, and other cases like that.
Taking that into account, I don't think it would share much at all,
and the additional dep of a tool to go from XML->desktop would
probably be too much for some projects.

Which case? I think any app that does that is broken.

What do you feel about using an external source for long descriptions, and using desktop files for common system metadata?

I also feel like the system of "describing this application" has to be done in a common format by one of other OS vendors. Have we looked into what Ubuntu, OS X, iOS, Android, and Windows do for this? Is it an XML-based format we can share?

Richard.