Re: AppData proposal

On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 14:49 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 21 August 2013 13:47, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
If you use itstool, you don't have to mangle your input XML.

I discounted itstool as I didn't want *all* the elements translated.

That's why itstool uses ITS.

<its:rules
  xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its";
  version="1.0">
  <its:translateRule translate="no" selector="/application"/>
  <its:translateRule translate="yes"
    selector="/application/name | /application/summary |
              /application/description"/>
</its:rules>

Regardless,
you really ought to specify at what level you expect to see translatable
elements repeated. Do you really want this:

<description>
</description>

This, I guess, although I'm open for ideas.

Here's the rub: When you have an element that can occur multiple times,
it becomes difficult to reliably figure out which ones to show.

You first have to figure out which are the source elements, then which
translated elements correspond to which source elements. It's just very
unpleasant to deal with repeated translated elements when they're used
in a document-like markup, as opposed to an informational markup.

I went to the AppStream wiki page but didn't see a schema. Do you have
more info yet?

I think this might help;
http://gitorious.org/appstream/appstream-core/trees/master/docs

Perfect, thanks.