Re: Passive resistance [was: Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror]

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:00:38AM +0200, Matteo Settenvini wrote:
If there's interest, we could draft a paragraph or two, so that a bit of
uniformity in communicating our ideals takes the form of a wider
protest.

I recommend not doing this.

The code is published under the GPL. If you don't want it used in ways
that goes against whatever you want, change the license. If you think
free software is really important, advocate that. If you have some pet
peeve against Github, GNOME infrastructure is not meant for advocacy
against something. Promote free software and explain why it is good all
your want. All the other stuff: it is like preaching to the choir plus
pretty double standard to complain about something that
a) makes free software more available to people
b) totally allowed by the license

and I do mean the thought behind the license, not just the legal wording.

--
Regards,
Olav