Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Christophe Fergeau <teuf gnome org>
Para: Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se>
CC: desktop-devel-list gnome org
Enviado: Jueves 15 de agosto de 2013 18:00
Asunto: Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

Hey,

2013/8/15 Debarshi Ray <rishi is lostca se>:
 If you are using GMail (a proprietary web application) for your GNOME
 work, and then turn around and start objecting to the use of GitHub as
 another / secondary distribution channel for our code, then, yes, I do
 find it insincere.

 Running your own email infrastructure is much much more easier than
 replicating GitHub with free software.

 If you don't even care about the easy things, then who are you to hold
 others to even higher standards?

In my opinion, there's a big difference between someone's personal use
of a non-free service, and GNOME as an entity (which is supposed to
develop and promote free software) promoting a non-free service. This
is what the "GNOME's official GitHub mirror" tagline makes it
sound
like.

I agree that using "official" can be misunderstood as the official or preferred way to interact with GNOME
code.

So just using the GNOME's github mirror is much clearer from my POV.

Cheers,

   -- Juanjo Marin