Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
I thought that "making it easy for them to take the code and copy it"
was the entire point of using a distributed version control system.
actually, I was pretty sure that this was the whole point of having
free access to the software source code in the first place.

I have nothing against free access to the source code. git.gnome.org
already ensures that.

As I said earlier, if someone wants to clone a module to work on it
and have their clone on github because that's where they chose to host
it to share their work, fine by me. This is already possible without
the GNOME mirror.

This doesn't mean I have to endorse it, or approve a move towards it.

considering that this is a mirroring system of a distributed version
control system, I'm puzzled as to what has been lost. you still have
all your rights to the software you maintain and commit to, and you
still have the right to push your work to more than one repository.
care to elaborate a bit more on this?

Frankly, I am not really motivated to elaborate more. As you can see
from this thread, people disagree with this action, which has been
taken in their name (as they are GNOME foundation members, GNOME
module maintainers and GNOME committers). It should be possible for
them not to have their name associated with it, whatever their reasons
are, and without having to justify themselves.

--
Alexandre Franke