Re: Announcing GNOME's official GitHub mirror

The results GitHub brings are not relevant in this case. TONS of useful
software have been created - and are still being created - using
Microsoft tools, and many other proprietary tools. So what?

I think it's somewhat unfair to make the GitHub mirroring automatic and
let people send their patches. What if I don't know how to do it or have
no time? I think it should be every maintainer's right to decide they
don't want to cooperate with a proprietary service.

You don't see complaints about GSoC because money blinds people. But
here you go: I hereby complain about the policy of Gnome projects to
supply support for Google, Facebook and Live.com before they even
consider adding similar support for free open alternatives (such as
Diaspora, Friendica and MediaGoblin).

To be honest, none of my code belongs to Gnome, and I use only Gitorious
for hosting. But this upcoming GitHub support would just discourage me
from wanting to contribute upstream, and discourage freedom-enthusiasts
from joining in.