Re: New GnomeGoal proposal: InstalledTests

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 12:56 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 18:49 +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
Hi,

On 04/26/2013 05:01 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 10:32 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
I want "make distcheck" to still run all of my tests, to guarantee that
everything works correctly when built from a tarball, not just when
built from git.

That's going to be a high bar to jump; but I suppose it makes sense to
have both during the transition and give downstreams time to teach their
build systems about revision control.

I'm not sure I follow here. Are you implying that you want to stop making
tarballs eventually?

Yes.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2013-April/msg00038.html

At least on Gentoo there is partially existing infrastructure but it is
not considered superior to tarballs. The collision attack on git is
possible, especially when the build is automated[1] and presumably by
not closely watching user, while tarballs have their hash distributed by
another channel on Gentoo.

While for main releases in portage it is not a problem as probably the
tarballs would be made by gnome team and uploaded they pose more of a
problem for the overlays (sort of additional repos - new
packages/unstable versions are usually found there) or bugzilla (another
place where people are posting ebuilds). I would presume other source
distribution (Nix, AUR in Arch) have similar problems.

Additionally currently the Vala programs can be compiled with
VALAC=/bin/true and depend entirely on generated sources which are not
kept in git (as they are autogenerated during make distcheck). That came
handy during the Gnome 3.8 transition as there are several packages that
requires older version of Vala, which vapigen is not compatible with
gobject-introspection 3.8. Such scheme would not be possible with git
tags as the sources wouldn't exist. This would be problem for Vala among
others as there would be no way to bootstrap compiler except by another
Vala compiler.

The same problem is for any files which are meant to not be built
(always) by user but are not kept in git - including say autotools
files. Requiring each user to run autogen would make the compilation
longer (in addition to possible errors due to changes in
autoconf/automake).

I understand why access people what to restrict access to
master.gnome.org but wouldn't replacing shell access with something else
be sufficient (or possibly restricting it to scp possibly with special
ui for verification without general purpose shell or tarball
autogeneration)?

Best regards

[1] http://joeyh.name/blog/entry/sha-1/