Re: New GnomeGoal proposal: InstalledTests

On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 10:32 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
On 04/26/2013 10:12 AM, Colin Walters wrote:
On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 08:46 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

You are not going to get me to buy eagerly into a new installed tests
scheme for glib if it means that I have to give up make check.

Well, would you be OK with:

$ jhbuild make
$ gnome-desktop-testing-runner glib

I want "make distcheck" to still run all of my tests, to guarantee that
everything works correctly when built from a tarball, not just when
built from git.

That's going to be a high bar to jump; but I suppose it makes sense to
have both during the transition and give downstreams time to teach their
build systems about revision control.

It forces the code into the "you don't have futexes" fallback mode, so
that we can test that that codepath works, even on machines that do have
futexes. We absolutely want to include that as part of the installed
tests too.

Mmm...but in a true black box model, that would require
*installing* /usr/share/glib/gbitlock.c.

In the way I have gjs/installed-tests set up, a build of the installed
tests, even though it uses the same git repository, is not supposed to
use the gjs source code.  It's just a way to avoid doubling the number
of git repositories.

I understand the win of installed tests, but that doesn't mean that
"make check" tests don't have their own set of wins. I want both.

Ok, I will work on it sometime this cycle.