Re: New GnomeGoal proposal: InstalledTests

2013/4/26 Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org>
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 18:49 +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/26/2013 05:01 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-04-26 at 10:32 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> >> I want "make distcheck" to still run all of my tests, to guarantee that
> >> everything works correctly when built from a tarball, not just when
> >> built from git.
> >
> > That's going to be a high bar to jump; but I suppose it makes sense to
> > have both during the transition and give downstreams time to teach their
> > build systems about revision control.
>
> I'm not sure I follow here. Are you implying that you want to stop making
> tarballs eventually?

Yes.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2013-April/msg00038.html

If you want to remove our shell accounts, please provide us with
an alternative way of publishing our tarballs (and do give us a heads
up on d-d-l before hand, so we can collect anything which we might
be keeping in our $(HOME) and $(HOME)/public_html).

As you can see from the subject of my e-mail at [1], the whole discussion is just a proposal at this moment of time, again just a proposal (it didn't go to d-d-l yet, cause we are still discussing all the possible solutions and the first step is usually hearing what the release-team has to say). I'm currently working with Olav Vitters to build a script that will work exactly as ftpadmin does now with a little but big difference: you'll be able to run it locally on your machine. (ideally you will have to rsync the tarball to the server and then install it as you currently do)

This way we'll be able to disable logins to master.gnome.org but people will still be able to provide tarballs for their modules. Tools are evolving really fast and honestly I feel that the future will definitely see tarballs being dropped at some point. And that point is not close, I believe.

Also as a side note, the logins to people.gnome.org *won't* be disabled, we are talking about logins to master.gnome.org now which is the only machine that has so many logins and ssh keys stored on the whole subsets of systems we host on the GNOME Infrastructure.

--
Cheers,

Andrea

Debian Developer,