Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 11:28 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
wrote:
        On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 11:18 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
        > I'm concerned about the "automatically opening dialog" thing
        because
        > I'm not sure we can tell when something automatically
        requests network
        > or requests network on account of the user.
        >

        > For instance, is an AJAX request to a website a user request
        or not?
        > We don't know. It could be clicking a button in Facebook, or
        it could
        > just be the site polling to see if anything new has come in.
        >

        > There's no possible way the browser even knows, so I don't
        think it's
        > a good idea to do this.

        That's an edge case, and I'm not sure edge cases in the
        implementation
        should be driving the design. I'm sure we'll find a way.

What's the edge case? That the user has Facebook open in a browser?
How is that in any way an edge case?

Because we have plenty of less complicated cases that would benefit from
this feature. I would expect it to require some help from the browsers,
in particular the interaction with the browsers' "offline mode".

In any case, the feature is not necessary to implement the combined
system status menu, it just enhances it.

Cheers