Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 11:18 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> I'm concerned about the "automatically opening dialog" thing because
> I'm not sure we can tell when something automatically requests network
> or requests network on account of the user.
>

> For instance, is an AJAX request to a website a user request or not?
> We don't know. It could be clicking a button in Facebook, or it could
> just be the site polling to see if anything new has come in.
>

> There's no possible way the browser even knows, so I don't think it's
> a good idea to do this.

That's an edge case, and I'm not sure edge cases in the implementation
should be driving the design. I'm sure we'll find a way.

What's the edge case? That the user has Facebook open in a browser? How is that in any way an edge case?

> The other thing that I've been concerned about is that users have
> complained about not being able to use their password managers in our
> password modal dialogs. I'd like to see something that acknowledges
> this complaint.

It's already a problem right now (that Wi-Fi passwords are
desktop-modal). Why are you (as you've already done on IRC) tying this
issue together with the combined system status menu?

> Otherwise, the UX of the giant dialog looks good to me, and I'm
> already starting to implement it. (But where's the avatar?)

Excellent. Is there a bug to track it?

Not yet. It's in a local branch on my system, as it's nowhere near publishable quality yet.

--
  Jasper