Re: Feature proposal: combined system status menu

Part two of my reply. :)

Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
More details are outlined on the wiki [2]. If you do look at the
designs, please pay particular attention to the example scenarios -
these give a clearer idea of what the menu will actually look like.
The designs aren't finalised yet, so comments and ideas are welcome.

My main concern while looking at the wireframes is that this would
change the fundamental way a lot of extensions work right now,
specifically I'm thinking about the MPRIS2 extension in the sound menu
that allows a very handy change of track or pause of your music which
would be a pain if done through the activities overview or the system
tray.

Extension authors can still add their own menus. They could even
relocate the volume sliders to a standalone sound menu if they wanted.

It would be nice if we could give a heads up to the extension
developers, and also, take into account that this kind of
customization seems reasonable and critical for a certain chunk of our
user base.

This is one reason why I am publicising this effort early in the release cycle.

It should be said that, as with any design, there are tradeoffs here.
There are lots of advantages to this approach (see the design page),
but there are one or two actions that might require an extra click
with the new design. The primary example of this is switching wifi
networks: with the new design, this will require that you open the
system menu, click on the wi-fi entry, and then choose the network you
want from the control center panel (as opposed to just selecting the
network from the menu itself).

However, while switching wi-fi networks will require an extra step, I
actually think that the the experience will be better with the new
design. The current network menu contains a lot of information that
isn't related to wi-fi, and isn't exactly straightforward to use - in
many respects, the new design will be more straightforward to use,
even if there is an extra click involved. Also, we are planning a new
wi-fi selection dialog, which should be a big improvement in those
situations where you are not already connected to a network.

Sounds areas worth exploring, keep up the good work guys and thanks
for sharing your plans on ddl!

np.

Allan