Re: loomio

Lets consider a concrete example.

Before Gnome Shell was initially released, I (like many others) didn't like the lack of a power off option in the system menu (or anywhere on the desktop). I've been an on and off lurker on IRC for a while. I brought up the concern a few times perhaps. At one point, I got into a small debate with owen about the design/user experience trade-offs of the issue. He made multiple specific arguments *against* having it in the menu and for having suspend (which I found completely unconvincing). I made multiple arguments *for* including it in the menu. It ended with him saying he'd wasted enough time debating the issue.

Three release cycles later, all of a sudden, there's a power off option in the menu right where suspend used to be (with the inverse behavior now! Alt-click -> suspends). I'm glad for it; don't get me wrong. But, what I'd like to know is, what arguments were made to finally convince owen and whoever else pushed through the change? Were the arguments he mead before somehow obsolete? I'd be fascinated to know, since I did my best to make a persuasive case before and was ultimately shot down. (Seriously, if anyone knows of a record of this, I'd like to see it)

Is it possible a tool like loomio could help? I don't know much about it in particular, but I think it's clear that the Gnome development process could greatly benefit from more of what it appears to facilitate.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 17:24 +0100, Marco Scannadinari wrote:
> No, I don't think that GNOME will suddenly become the perfect DE, but
> certain decisions, such as the location of the close button on
> fullscreen apps, could be improved a lot and polls could be used as
> evidence for user testing or feedback, rather than saying "We thought it
> was the right thing to do." (for example)

Please not. Polls are popularity contests and cannot replace user
testing. http://nat.org/blog/2006/02/dan-winship-on-design-by-committee/
comes to my mind (unfortunately the paintings are not online anymore).

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/