Re: loomio

        On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 01:49:48PM -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
        > On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
        >
        > > On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 05:21:15PM +0100, Marco Scannadinari wrote:
        > > > [0] (Restricted in that users do not know that it exists, or that they
        > > > are allowed to participate. And if they do, they may not be notified of
        > > > a decision meeting when it occurs.)
        > >
        > > I don't get this at all.
        > >
        > > This implies that there are "decision meetings" and that the decision is
        > > taken equally by the number of people part of the decision. I don't see
        > > how having a web based tool changes anything regarding being able to be
        > > allowed to participate.
        > >

        > They do exist.  We in the marketing team make tactical and strategic
        > decisions all the time.  It might be in code space, but other teams do use
        > them.
        >
        > I think this particular tools documents what decision was made and in what
        > context.  That's a little hard to do if you have to scan through emails at
        > least for hte marketinig team.  Of course it implies that we have some
        > discipline to do this. :-)

        So you want to have random people suddenly join, be of the decision and
        have equal say? I find that a little bit weird.

Mailing lists are not designed for vote-taking, proposals, and such -
the primary contents of nearly all mailing lists are discussions and
announcements.
If someone posts a proposal on gnome-devel, for example, it would not be
efficient or easy for each user to give their approval: "Yeah I love
this idea please implement it", "I agree.", "I am not in favor because
$REASONS", etc, etc. There is no ticket system for taking in votes, and
no standardisation in the voting and discussion procedures. It would be
even harder for the poor guy who has to collect in all of the votes,
which would mean discerning how much in favour the votee is of the
proposal, and having to hand-file the results. With loomio, this process
is automated and it is a dedicated service for these taks.

At the very least, GNOME could have a test-run of it for a month or so.
--
Marco Scannadinari <marco scannadinari co uk>