Re: [Fwd: Re: Two 3.10 feature ideas]

I know free software alternatives exist, but some apps don't even
support them.

If we want people to migrate, let's just support proprietary media
formats. Let's support anything the users actually use. Even
closed-source tools. Why not, if it's what they use??? [sarcasm]

I agree I don't have to add a Facebook account to GOA, but you make a
mistake assuming what users want is the right thing. Fact: many people
are addicted to Facebook. Fact: many of them know it's bad. Fact: it
doesn't make them stop using it. Fact: if Gnome is good enough without
Facebook, it can help them stop using it. Fact: it supplies integration
and GOA accounts, thus the users remain addicted.

Fine, keep the Facebook account, just give users the option to never see
and use it. Also, why waste time on it? Go ahead, write plugins, but why
FOCUS on Facebook and Twitter? I'd rather fix random bugs.

If integrating Windows Live, Facebook and Google is the way to make
people migrate to Gnome, I'm ashamed of that. Ashamed of being a part of
that. We can keep those features, but give them the lowest prioprity. If
Gnome is good enough, people will come anyway. Otherwise, I prefer they
don't come, than the case they come because of Facebook and MSN
integration.

What I'm saying is: Sometimes users don't know what's best for them.
It's okay, nobody's perfect. But why help the devil? Let's guide them to
using free-software alternatives! GNU and Gnome are supposed to me
committed to freedom, not to users' wishes. Users wish to use facebook,
but that's just an issue of addiction and not understanding software
freedom and privacy. We can't let that change our goals.

Anyway, you get the point.

You're welcome to have all those features, just make sure I can have all
of them using free software. And make that the first priority. THEN you
can add facebook and google. They're in wide use, but I can't let them
be in the highest priority. It just wouldn't make any sense.

Good luck! And never forget, freedom and privacy are above all :)