Re: 3.8 "feature": Drop or Fix Fallback Mode

hi;

On 23 October 2012 14:05, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha ubuntu com> wrote:
> On 23 October 2012 04:20, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
>> On 23 October 2012 07:30, Lanoxx <lanoxx gmx net> wrote:
>>> IMHO we should try our best keep gnome-panel alive for at least a few
>>> more years.
>>
>> there seems to be some confusion, here.
>>
>> removing the fallback mode in GNOME does *not* imply removing
>> gnome-panel and metacity git repositories. what removing the fallback
>> mode means is removing them from the release moduleset, as well as not
>> trying to keep those modules up with the UX changes (an already
>> arduous task as it is).
>>
>> if people want to keep maintaining those two projects for the people
>> that prefer running them, they are *very* much welcome to do so —
>> something that has been said multiple times already.
>
> I believe it's quite a bit more than that. Dropping fallback mode
> means ripping out the support code from
> gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-control-center/etc. for the classic
> desktop making it impossible to run with GNOME 3.8 or 3.10 or whenever
> that happens. The tracking bug for that is
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/682858

that is not entirely correct: you can still create a user session
running gnome-panel and metacity. the code to be removed would be the
switch inside gnome-control-center that allows you to forcibly go in
fallback mode; we still need code to detect whether or not your
machine is going to be able to run the GNOME UX.

obviously, whoever ends up maintaining those two components will have
to keep up with the settings and session changes, but that's generally
to be expected (and that's why I said "as well as not trying to keep
those modules up with the UX changes").

in short: dropping metacity and gnome-panel from the release means
finding maintainers — exactly like keeping them, to be honest, but the
former option allows others to share the burden.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name