Re: 3.8 "feature": Drop or Fix Fallback Mode

> We discussed this at the Boston Summit. At least two major community
> members still use gnome-panel and metacity, simply because they liked
> the workflow better than the GNOME 3 way of working. There were lots
> of things that were discussed; some of these systems and complaints
> are addressable for 3.8, and others are not. I don't want to misquote
> or paraphrase the community members, so I'd have to re-ask them, or
> they'd have to reply on list.

I am using gnome-panel + metacity on several computers. I like the work
flow better than gnome-shell and I have even invested quite some work to
port window-picker-applet to Gtk+3 so I can use it with gnome-panel. I
would be very disappointed if gnome-panel would disappear. That said, I
can try to help a little with testing or bug fixing (at least for applets).

Given the initiatives like Mate and Cinnamon (which I have not used
yet), I think it shows that there are people out there that prefer the
classic desktop to the new concepts that Gnome Shell and Unity are
introducing.

IMHO we should try our best keep gnome-panel alive for at least a few
more years.