Re: 3.8 "feature": Drop or Fix Fallback Mode

On 23 October 2012 04:20, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> On 23 October 2012 07:30, Lanoxx <lanoxx gmx net> wrote:
>> IMHO we should try our best keep gnome-panel alive for at least a few
>> more years.
>
> there seems to be some confusion, here.
>
> removing the fallback mode in GNOME does *not* imply removing
> gnome-panel and metacity git repositories. what removing the fallback
> mode means is removing them from the release moduleset, as well as not
> trying to keep those modules up with the UX changes (an already
> arduous task as it is).
>
> if people want to keep maintaining those two projects for the people
> that prefer running them, they are *very* much welcome to do so —
> something that has been said multiple times already.

I believe it's quite a bit more than that. Dropping fallback mode
means ripping out the support code from
gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-control-center/etc. for the classic
desktop making it impossible to run with GNOME 3.8 or 3.10 or whenever
that happens. The tracking bug for that is
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/682858

As Unity currently depends on some of that code, this is a major
factor in pushing Ubuntu to ship the previous stable release instead
of the latest (in other words, GNOME 3.6 for Ubuntu 13.04). And as
currently set up, that means the Ubuntu GNOME Remix will be doing the
same.

I don't have a problem with dropping gnome-panel & metacity from core
to apps but killing it in this way is more controversial.

Jeremy