Re: Requiring systemd for the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin

David:

On 10/22/12 01:17 PM, David Zeuthen wrote:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Brian Cameron<brian cameron oracle com>  wrote:
Right.  So, you probably are not surprised that things are moving along
slowly either.  :)

Actually I'm quite excited about the development pace for GNOME
nowadays - there are lots of cool *user-visible* features landing in
new releases.   The fact that it's hard for some OSes to keep up is an
interesting indicator that the focus in GNOME is more on features than
(boring [1]) abstraction / portability work. I'm not saying that's
100% right - in fact, my previous mails calls for help in that area -
but as an end-user, I'm pretty excited about GNOME. I would definitely
not characterize it as "moving along slowly".

I agree that the GNOME development pace is exciting.  I was talking
more about porting efforts moving along slowly.  Though I am not sure
that either one really needs to be fully at the expense of the other.

As a developer (and working for an OS vendor), I *do* want more OS
vendors to step up and intensify their participation in the project.
Yes, more participation from several different OS vendors might slow
down feature development a bit (for example, landing a *simple*
library-based abstraction for systemd's logind mechanism), but at the
end of the day, it's probably going to be a win for everyone.

While the current pace might be good enough, if a little more planning
could avoid so much interface churn where interfaces are developed than
soon thrown away, then that planning would actually speed up development
rather than slow it down.  I do not think the GNOME community has yet
found the sweet spot here, though others may disagree.

When an upstream FOSS community re-invents the wheel too much, it is
tiring and encourages a more wait-and-see attitude, and actually
discourages healthier cross-distro participation.  Whether this is a
good or bad thing is probably hard to say without more hindsight.

Brian