Re: Concerning Keyboard Status Menu

> So you want to keep of track all useful engines? What's good for that?

Yes.

The good thing is that users, who are not familiar with all the
politics of free software input method frameworks and engines, get to
choose from a list of good quality engines. They do not have to go
searching all over the Internet to figure out what is what, and what
is more broken or less broken, and so on.

If some of the engines are still lacking in features, you are welcome
to improve them. Yes, that won't happen in a single day. But if you do
the heavy lifting then you actually improve things instead of
constantly working around things that are broken.

There is a phrase called "draining the swap". That is what we are
trying to do here.

If you think that an engine that is listed should be replaced by
another because it is better than the one that is listed, then you are
welcome to request that. You can even submit a patch to make that
switch.

> Why don't GNOME maintain a whitelist for applications either?

Because unlike typing and inputing with a mouse or keyboard, people do
not perceive applications to be part of the OS or the desktop
environment (or whatever it is that you want to call it).

Do you have to choose from a dozen different drivers just to get your
keyboard or mouse to work?

Input methods and keyboard layouts are similar. They should just
work. We are working hard to achieve that. We are not there yet. You
are welcome to help out by fixing the engines and proposing good
defaults.

Or you can wait for someone else to do it for you.

Cheers,
Debarshi

--
There are two hard problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming
things and off-by-one errors.