Re: GnomeGoal for 3.8: DesktopFileKeywords

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 16:48 +0100, Henrique Ferreiro wrote:

>         Not sure matching in other languages, including english, is a
>         good idea. The typical $locale user is searching for a word in
>         his language, likely having no clue that english has a similar
>         looking word with totally different meaning ... the net result
>         is that he will get listed something that's not remotely
>         relevant to what he was looking for without understanding why.
>         You need to go quite some way to figure "ok, that work might
>         mean something else in some language I don't know and the
>         system is trying to help me"...
>

> Users are usually going to install languages they know. And there are
> many countries with more than one language, in which people may use
> them interchangeably.

I've just checked and at least my university have installed non-English
locales (large proportion of students, including myself, are from abroad
so it probably make sense in case they wanted to have their own locale
etc.). Searching through all locales makes probably no sense as:

- You end up doing over 100x more work (CPU and I/O) so you are over
100x slower
- You may end up with results user does not understand

I'd check for locale. Maybe search similarly named locales as well (for
example for en_CA search fr_CA, en_US, en_UK, ...) to cover bi-lingual
countries (and people using system in English but not necessary English
speakers who don't necessary remember which spelling is 'correct'
American/British/... one).

Best regards