Re: Some points about IM integration

On 14/05/2012 22:52, Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 12:21 +0800, Weng Xuetian wrote:
I don't want people to draw the conclusion that because I'm saying
that
input methods should have simple configuration without a lot of
options,
I think that they aren't important. I'm very aware that every single
user that comes to GNOME and wants to write in Chinese needs to use
an
input method. But if we have so many options that the defaults don't
get
well tested, or if options conflict and produce bugs, then we're not
shipping a good ';';'''''''
'
Options are really required in order to meet people need especially
for input method. This is a basic components for people.

Is it possible you can enumerate all those special needs and why are
compulsory?

Just stating the options are important does not help to understand why,
neither gives the opportunity to think or determine which approach would
fit better.

These are common options for Chinese IMs:

* Dialect-specified pronunciation: There are nine major dialect families for Chinese, some of which are different from each other more than Dutch and German. The problem is some pronunciations cannot be spoken by some dialect users. Thus, they need special settings to enable other pronunciations to replace the unspoken ones.

* Words-candidate-list: Each Chinese character has a one-syllable pronunciation, and a Chinese word is made up by 2~4 characters (generally speaking), which correspondingly has 2~4 syllables. When a N-syllable pronunciation is input, IM engine should enumerate all possible combinations, while it may be a new word and the user should pick characters one by one to make up the new word. The question is how many candidates will be shown to users before he/she can choose single characters.

These are two of the most popular options for nearly all Chinese IMs. They are not merely options, but rather _fundamental_ features.

I think one framework for all input method is ideal, and multiple upstream packages would cause weird bugs, and users are prone to blame Gnome for all bugs. Also, I know Gnome team needs an IM team to work with closely and ibus team just fulfill your needs well, I understand that you need some one to be the fire rescue when there are bugs.

I think the discussions from Weng and Su show two ideas:

    * As features, fcitx, with plugin mechanism, is more powerful than ibus
    * As philosophy, they hope Gnome won't expel them out.

Maybe you can choose a default framework for Gnome, and it is your project and you have the right to make decision, but is there any chance *not* to impede the existence of other IMs.

@Weng Xuetian

Thank you for developing fcitx!

I am wondering, if any detailed plan on how to cooperate with Gnome IM design will be useful. I think they need some commitment.