Re: Some points about IM integration

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > framework. It doesn't say anything about what input method framework we
>> > should pick. The fact that the IBus developers have been engaged with
>> > GNOME for quite some time and are willing to work with us to create a user
>> > experience that is simple and consistent with the GNOME principles is
>> > certainly a big plus, but we do need to make sure that the end result
>> > works well as well as looking good.
>> >

>> First let me clarify a question though nobody ask, but I think you
>> have this question in mind. That is "why not fcitx work with ibus,
>> isn't that a feasible solution too?".
>>
>> It's kinds of the same question why there are so many distribution for
>> linux? There is some reason important that make two similar projects
>> are not the same projects. Though from some other people point of
>> view, they don't understand or don't know the  reason. To make it
>> simple, the reason that it's impossible for ibus to implement the
>> feature I want in input method.
>
> I think it's quite interesting to learn about the differences in
> philosophy and the differences in technical decisions between projects.
>
> But certainly suggesting that people stop working on their projects
> or merge efforts is generally not reasonable. (We've all heard plenty
> of people saying "Wouldn't it be great if GNOME and KDE merged" over
> the years...)
>
> Once projects have been around for a while they have their own
> philosophies, their own users, their own history. So I'm not expecting
> anybody to give up work on their own projects.
>
> But that doesn't mean that we can simply be neutral, work with all
> projects equally. I think the end result of that is poor integration,
> poor user interfaces, and unhappy users.
>
> [....]
>
>> And for example, the keyboard layout integration, settings is actually
>> duplicated there and within ibus, and the UI even not cover all
>> available option inside.ibus. My point is, why not let input method
>> guys to implements theirs own gnome-control-center module? This should
>> be the right way to go. And much more easier and decouple with GNOME
>> core, and will works even better. What you guys choose now even limits
>> ibus itself from my view.
>
> For the GNOME philosophy on configuration, see the section called
> "The Question of Preferences" in:
>
>  http://ometer.com/free-software-ui.html
>
> In general, we wouldn't believe that giving the user more options is
> necessarily better. Even as something as basic as the list of
> possible input methods is something that we think needs careful thought
> and planning. When I look at the screenshot at:
>
>  http://fcitx-im.org/wiki/File:Fcitx-configtool.png
>
> I would certainly wonder if including a Dvorak layout for Cameroon makes
> sense. (The equivalent part of the UI we're working on can be found
> https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/RegionAndLanguage -
> under Input Sources, but I'm not sure if there are more current or

The default option of "current language" is selected.
By the way, it's still kinds of UI design but not internal problem.
When I want to go further I would also rethink about the UI part.
>> And from my point of view, setting interface of ibus is hardcoded, so
>> those pygtk setting code must be replace one by one if they want to
>> move to another toolkit (even from gtk2 to gtk3). And make it
>> impossible to put the setting just "inside" the gnome-control-center.
>
> Are you saying that fcitx generates the configuration GUI based on
> a description? In general, our experience has definitely been over the
> years that auto-generated configuration have some downsides. They
> don't allow customized design of controls for particular options, and
> don't handle the interaction between interacting options well.

fcitx doesn't force this, external command would be allowed. But for
common case it's quite a lot easier to integrate with UI better.

> I don't want people to draw the conclusion that because I'm saying that
> input methods should have simple configuration without a lot of options,
> I think that they aren't important. I'm very aware that every single
> user that comes to GNOME and wants to write in Chinese needs to use an
> input method. But if we have so many options that the defaults don't get
> well tested, or if options conflict and produce bugs, then we're not
> shipping a good ';';'''''''
> '
Options are really required in order to meet people need especially
for input method. This is a basic components for people.

This shows your poor understand on input method, when you look at
Chinese Pinyin, you might found a lots of option (say more than 10-20
about pronunciation) are useless for common people, but others CANNOT
use it correctly without such options. This is the same case of
"accessibility" part in desktop.