Re: Feature Proposal: finding and rediscovering shared links

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Seif Lotfy <seif lotfy com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> Seif Lotfy <seif lotfy com> wrote:
>> > I created a new wiki page for this. Hylke and Garrett have been helping
>> > out
>> > on the idea and the design.
>> >

>> > https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointFive/Features/FindingAndRediscoveringSharedLinks
>>
>> I'm confused. Your original proposal for this feature was to add
>> functionality to Web or Contacts. Now you are talking about a new
>> application. What exactly are you proposing?
> I would like to have the feature there in any way standalone or integrated.
> Hylke thought it would make sense to have it as a standalone application, so
> he approached the designs as a standalone. I am ok with both.
>
> Can you elaborate why a standalone application might not be a good idea?
> (not that you claimed it, but I am just assuming here). What is required to
> consider is whether to have this integrated or stand-alone? There might be
> good reasons for both.

A standalone application is totally fine, in my opinion. I don't think
a shared links application belongs in the core though (in which case
you don't need to propose it).

> I currently don't see this feature integrated into contacts or chat
> honestly. If it is to be integrated in an application then it should be Web.
> My reasoning behind this is that one uses "Web" to browse websites. And the
> queue feature is already planned and approved by the design team. So having
> something to populate the queue makes more sense since it is a central place
> to look for links. Instead of going to contacts or to chat to look for
> links.

As I've already said, I think this could make sense in contacts (as
part of a 'related stuff' feature) or in chat (perhaps as a
conversation filter). Remember - people look for things in the last
place they saw them.

Related stuff is a good solution, but I fail to see how it would help me find links that were sent to me, without knowing exactly who sent it.

Example: you remember one of the designers sent you a link but you can't remember who. Wouldn't a dedicated view with links you received that also show a nice preview would help out? Shouldn't the view be dedicated and globally encapsulate all the links your received from contacts?

I think this feature in Web would allow seamless browsing without having to open "contacts" or "chat" to find the links that were sent. For me it is much easier to remove things to the queue than adding stuff. So personally having my queue populated for me, would make my life much much easier.

I agree that people look for things in the last place they saw them, yet people need to option to search and explore if they can't find what they are looking for. We have Documents to aggregate all the documents on the local drives as well as the cloud. Why not have Web aggregate all the links that are being sent to me in the queue or a new queue?

Cheers
Seif

Allan
--