Re: Feature Proposal: finding and rediscovering shared links

Seif Lotfy <seif lotfy com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> Seif Lotfy <seif lotfy com> wrote:
>> > I created a new wiki page for this. Hylke and Garrett have been helping
>> > out
>> > on the idea and the design.
>> >

>> > https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointFive/Features/FindingAndRediscoveringSharedLinks
>>
>> I'm confused. Your original proposal for this feature was to add
>> functionality to Web or Contacts. Now you are talking about a new
>> application. What exactly are you proposing?
> I would like to have the feature there in any way standalone or integrated.
> Hylke thought it would make sense to have it as a standalone application, so
> he approached the designs as a standalone. I am ok with both.
>
> Can you elaborate why a standalone application might not be a good idea?
> (not that you claimed it, but I am just assuming here). What is required to
> consider is whether to have this integrated or stand-alone? There might be
> good reasons for both.

A standalone application is totally fine, in my opinion. I don't think
a shared links application belongs in the core though (in which case
you don't need to propose it).

> I currently don't see this feature integrated into contacts or chat
> honestly. If it is to be integrated in an application then it should be Web.
> My reasoning behind this is that one uses "Web" to browse websites. And the
> queue feature is already planned and approved by the design team. So having
> something to populate the queue makes more sense since it is a central place
> to look for links. Instead of going to contacts or to chat to look for
> links.

As I've already said, I think this could make sense in contacts (as
part of a 'related stuff' feature) or in chat (perhaps as a
conversation filter). Remember - people look for things in the last
place they saw them.

Allan
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org