Re: Feature Proposal: finding and rediscovering shared links

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 14:13 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 15:48 +0100, Martyn Russell wrote:
>
> > Back when I was working on Gossip, I had a "links" tab in the chat
> > log/history for exactly this reason. I frequently dig out old links.
> >
> > The most important things are:
> >
> >   - The link
> >   - Who sent it
> >   - What medium
> >   - When
>
> I would find this REALLY useful!

For me, something mining the chat logs for links would be absolutely
useless. My shared links come from Facebook, Twitter or IRC.

While I agree with you that shared links come from twitter and facebook mostly. Doesn't IRC count as a chat log? Correct me if I am wrong, but usually when I share a link via social network it is not the same as sharing a link via IM. Sharing via IM is more personal IMHO. In my personal case I don't go through links shared with me via Facebook or Twitter since mostly it is just spam. Links that are shared with me directly are more important for me.

Whatever system we use, we'd need to be able to remember attribution:
http://getpocket.com/blog/2011/02/version-2-4-for-ios-login-support-tweet-attribution-and-more/

> I have a "To read" bookmarks folder in Firefox, which is full of crap
> which I haven't bothered to delete after viewing.

http://getpocket.com

Or Instapaper.

>   It's just so much
> work to maintain such a list by hand that I don't bother.  And yet,
> there are interesting things there, which would be much more useful if
> they had information of how I had acquired them - who sent them to me,
> etc.
>
> +1 for this feature.

It needs to also remember which "post" the link was sent in so I can
attribute or comment properly.

I agree here. Remembering the context of the link is important.