Please check your sources for strings not marked for translation before release

Hallo developers.

Since the release of GNOME 3.4 we have received a steady stream of emails saying "This is not a string freeze break, we just forgot to mark the strings for translation". So much so, that the statistics e.g. for my language (which has not been touched since release) now counts 63* untranslated or fuzzy strings in a source that was at 0 at release time, three weeks ago.

I understand the reason for not counting marking existing strings as a string freeze break. But please understand that even though you are in your right to fix things like this post release, and even though it off course makes sense to do it, it does not mean that it is not annoying and a burden for translators.

The reason for this is that we concentrate large amounts of work in the period just before release (where string changes are relatively quiet), so therefore it is also an advantage for us if we can finish as much of it as possible in that period (of course also because a lot of us has an extra hat as distribution translators for distributions that follow within a month or so of the gnome release). On top of that, small updates are uncharacteristically expensive in a work/string-sense because they involve the same amount of emails back and forth for proofreading and git work.

So please... If you could make a bit more of an effort of checking your sources for non-internationalized strings before release that would be great. IMHO 63 is just a bit on the high side of where this number should be

Regards Kenneth

* These 63 off course also include genuinely new strings due e.g. to bug fixes.