Re: Please check your sources for strings not marked for translation before release

Op Ma, 2012-05-07 om 13:59 +0200 skryf Kenneth Nielsen:
> Hallo developers.
>
> Since the release of GNOME 3.4 we have received a steady stream of
> emails saying "This is not a string freeze break, we just forgot to mark
> the strings for translation". So much so, that the statistics e.g. for
> my language (which has not been touched since release) now counts 63*
> untranslated or fuzzy strings in a source that was at 0 at release time,
> three weeks ago.
>
> I understand the reason for not counting marking existing strings as a
> string freeze break. But please understand that even though you are in
> your right to fix things like this post release, and even though it off
> course makes sense to do it, it does not mean that it is not annoying
> and a burden for translators.
>
> The reason for this is that we concentrate large amounts of work in the
> period just before release (where string changes are relatively quiet),
> so therefore it is also an advantage for us if we can finish as much of
> it as possible in that period (of course also because a lot of us has an
> extra hat as distribution translators for distributions that follow
> within a month or so of the gnome release). On top of that, small
> updates are uncharacteristically expensive in a work/string-sense
> because they involve the same amount of emails back and forth for
> proofreading and git work.
>
> So please... If you could make a bit more of an effort of checking your
> sources for non-internationalized strings before release that would be
> great. IMHO 63 is just a bit on the high side of where this number should be
>
> Regards Kenneth
>
> * These 63 off course also include genuinely new strings due e.g. to bug
> fixes.

I tried to write some notes a while ago that might help a bit:
https://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/DevGuidelines/Test%20internationalization

Keep well
Friedel

--