Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

On 20 Jan 2012, at 17:21, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 ubuntu com> wrote:

> Le 20/01/2012 17:50, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
>> In about 40 minutes, I created a binary RPM[1] that contains the 3
>> services we care about in GNOME from the systemd Fedora package. I
>> believe you do something similar.
> Thanks, that works but is not really optiomal (i.e that could easily lead to a non well maintained,half broken systemd in Ubuntu because it has been packaged by people who care only about the services and not about the other features from systemd).
>
> But anyway from a distributor perspective this specific problem is orthogonal to the discussion:
> - the issue is not Debian,Ubuntu specific

They're the only ones really complaining though... The others took it upon themselves to do the integration work. Only Fedora, Debian/Ubuntu and SUSE were supported. SUSE haven't complained either.

> - the issue is not that distributors have work to do to integrate GNOME
> - nobody asked you to solve integration issues for downstreams
>
> What as a downstream we would like is early communication from the project on what platform requirements will be added so we have time to do our work and deliver a good GNOME experience to our GNOME users.

You're missing the fact that you (personally) received emails about that feature by virtue of being subscribed to gnome-control-center bugs.

Consider this a, if rather late, notice that we'll use the systemd timedated API in GNOME 3.4. I believe enough work-arounds have been given for the downstreams for which it's a problem.

But at the end of the day, planning is pretty complicated when I'm the only person reviewing project-wide patches in g-c-c. So you get the notice at the same time as others, myself included: when I merge the patch.

Cheers