Re: Design in the open

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 16:36 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 16:52 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> > I don't want and I don't have time and resources to help you with
> > design or code writing. But I'm involved in this change and I feel I
> > need more info[1]. And developers will need r-t approval before
> > proceding with this change.
>
> Not wishing to diminish the role of the release-team, but if you expect
> being able to block Totem/Videos from 3.6 when both the developers and
> the designers agree it's the way forward, I think you're very mistaken.

I don't think it's a matter of blocking the will of the designers or
developers. The release team should, of course, follow the consensus
of the community.

But we do need to be able to judge whether the implementation is up
to standards for inclusion. It's not a matter of saying "We won't
include this feature." It's a matter of saying "This feature is not
ready yet."

The problem with the feature proposal process is that we're approving
wiki pages. But implementation matters. We have something like three
months before we start hitting freezes. That's not a lot of time, and
sometimes we just can't do everything we'd like.

I'm not opposed to feature proposals, but I think they need to come
with a detailed proposal for implementation, including all necessary
new dependencies, and a deadline by which the release team can judge
the implementation, not the design.

--
Shaun