Re: Design in the open

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 11:23 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Luca Ferretti <lferrett gnome org> wrote:
> > 2012/4/25 Allan Day <allanpday gmail com>:
> > So, IMHO a design driven GNOME needs good desing documents. The
> > "design document is a written contract"[4] between designers and other
> > teams, more time you spend writing it, less time you'll spend explaing
> > here on desktop devel list :)
>
> For me, design in the open is about developers and designers working
> together as partners, not hyper-specified design documents. That might
> not give observers as much to see, but it provides contributors with a
> real opportunity to shape our project. That's not something I would
> want to take away.
>
> GNOME design is often misunderstood as creating specifications that
> are handed down on tablets of stone. That's not the way it works -
> each design is typically the outcome of a process of iteration, and we
> keep on iterating right through the development process.

then, why not do the proposals for new designs here in d-d-l? That way
you might get initial feedback before starting on the design, and people
that feel ignored get info on what's going on. Then, you can just keep
working as you do right now, but an initial proposal on this list, as we
do for features, might be a good idea to get everyone interested
involved