Re: GNOME Goal Proposal: Port to GMenu

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 13:55 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Last release we introduced the ability for applications to define a
>> GMenu (or 'application menu'). This means that applications now have a
>> place to locate global application (as opposed to per window) menu
>> items. Some applications have already started to use a GMenu, and
>> while this is great, it has also introduced some inconsistency (since
>> some app menus have several items in them and some just have Quit).
>>
>> It would be great if we could improve on the current situation and
>> ensure that all our applications present an appropriate set of items
>> in their GMenu. I've started a GNOME Goal page [1] which we can use to
>> coordinate this work, if people think it's a good idea.
>
> I'm not sure how good an idea this is given that the use of the app menu
> means that the application itself will require redesign. It would only
> be really useful for smaller applications with a very limited number of
> menu items, without a redesign.

If an app has a complex menu bar, I'm recommending that it just moves
a small number of items to the app menu (eg. new window, preferences,
help, about, quit). That way we can ensure at least some consistency
and prevent those "oh, there's nothing there" moments.

Allan
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/