Re: Rules for design in Gnome

hi Federico;

I think this email is not at all warranted - and it generates more
fuel for flames.

On 24 April 2012 02:58, Federico Mena Quintero <federico gnome org> wrote:
> The design team IS welcome to:

> The design team IS NOT welcome to:

these elements contradict what you write below

> * Second-guess maintainers or well-intentioned contributors.
>
> * Block development based on existing designs.
>
> * Block development based on incomplete or planned designs.
>
> * Veto development except in modules with branches that the design
>  team maintains.
>
> * Be dismissive of other people's own approaches to design.
>
> * Dismiss or handwave requests for clarification about decisions taken.

here:

> * Every decision is up for review.  The state of the world changes,
>  not everyone shares your assumptions, and matters which seem settled
>  may need revision.

so, if every decision is up for review, why shouldn't the people doing
design second-guess or block?

finally, and particularly, this is wrong:

> * Assume that no one but them does design that is good for Gnome.

if you're designing for Gnome, then *by definition* you are on the
Gnome design team.

if your designs are in conflict with what other people doing design
are trying to achieve, then you should talk to them, and revise them
and/or achieve a rough consensus on what is the direction to take.

by the way, since we're dropping rules by fiat, and given that at
least I'm empowered by the fact of having been elected on the
Foundation's board, I think people on this list are welcome to assume
that people mean well, and are NOT welcome to assume conspiracies or
assume that people do stuff just because.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name