Re: Rules for design in Gnome

OK first let us all please calm down (This does not apply to Emmanuele, since he seems always calm :P)

We all have the best intentions at heart. I think Federico knows exactly that the design team has best intentions. And I hope the design team knows that Federico has the same intentions.

This thread sums up and shows the communication flaws between the design team and some of us in the community. There must be a reason why this E-mail was sent and it is not to flame or anger people. We are discussing a problem here. We all agree that:
  • No one is in charge. GNOME designers know they don't decide on behalf of GNOME.
  • We are trying to build a product here.
Yet how can we build a product if *some* developers don't feel attached to what they are contributing to. Should those leave the community just because they don't share the vision of the design team.

If a designer designs a feature for an application, but the maintainer of the app does not like it, who will implement it? And the other way round we can not develop applications without designing them else no one will use them and we will lose a developer base.

There is a perception that GNOME design team are the ones decided the direction. This perception did not come out of thin air and is not a conspiracy. It is a communication problem.

From my observation I think the design team cares more about building the product and sometimes forgets about the community and the social capital of GNOME. This might be based on the fact that *most* of the designers are hired by companies. So if a maintainer doesn't want to implement their designs they can rely on the financial capital to make it happen.

This leads to some developers feeling helpless about how to influence the direction of GNOME

Also some designs of applications are not done, and mostly are a revamp of currently existing applications. Suggesting adding a feature to one of the applications is the considered invalid because they don't fit the future plans of the design (that might not be done). Can a developer add such a feature without the design team getting upset?

As someone who held a grudge for around 2 years against the design team, I managed to somehow communicate with them in the last 6 months. And they are awesome. Once the communication bridge opened I now understand them and enjoy working with them ==> I trust their ideas.

But I still see the how hard it is to get to them. It was not easy. So communication efforts have to be done from both sides.
If designers expect developers to implement their ideas then they should also tolerate and work around the fact that developers want to implement their own ideas.

Cheers
Seif