Re: Openness (Was: Re: Module Proposal: Zeitgeist)

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Seif Lotfy <seif lotfy com> wrote:

>> > I think people are more concerned about being able to have input
>> > on the process, not on seeing the results published on the wiki.
>> > I'm on #gnome-design all day. I often skim the backlog. I don't
>> > really see the discussion that leads to the results. Sometimes
>> > I see mention of meetings. I don't know where those meetings
>> > happen.
>>
>> Exactly. Non-designers want to be part of the process. Reasons behind
>> decisions need to be written somewhere, but that is not enough.
>>
>> If a new a developer comes and asks for reasons behind a decisions, I
>> doubt that the designers, who are already as busy as it gets, can take
>> time to explain each one who comes over what problem is being solved
>> via the design and how.
>> So having design decisions and their reasoning documented would help.
>> But also as designers it is their responsibility to communicate with
>> those who still doubt these decisions, starting with those willing to
>> implement or help out directly. Because if they can explain to those
>> nearest to them, those can then jump in to help others.
>>

> No, you get volunteer community managers to communicate those design
> decisions.  A community manager should be able to get a general feel of what
> design decisions are having issues with the community.  At some point maybe
> sucha person can opt for a conversation with specific individuals but
> otherwise you know there are a lot of unreasonable people out here and the
> internet makes them more unreasonable than they would be usually.

Good point. With community managers, designers can focus more. Still I think a minimal interaction with the community from the designers side is required. I think going with some kind of liaison is a good direction.

> Luckily for us, we do have a number of people who couldu do that kind of
> community management, Olav for one has already been doing some of it.   I do
> it more externally.

Are you talking about Olav Bacon :P (bad joke, trying to lighten the mood a bit)

Dave Eaves who is a Mozilla Community manager has a very nice talk I encourage everybody to watch it. http://blip.tv/djangocon/keynote-david-eaves-5571777

> sri

Seif