Openness (Was: Re: Module Proposal: Zeitgeist)

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 18:21 +0200, Florian Max wrote:

> Which brings us to the matter of openness: the results of everything
> the design team does ends up on the GNOME wiki under
> live.gnome.org/Design.

I think people are more concerned about being able to have input
on the process, not on seeing the results published on the wiki.
I'm on #gnome-design all day. I often skim the backlog. I don't
really see the discussion that leads to the results. Sometimes
I see mention of meetings. I don't know where those meetings
happen.

> Of course it would be really fancy if the wiki also contained the
> reasoning behind decisions, but let's face it - none of us does
> anything like that (I doubt you are adding comments like "Using a
> full-blown GObject rather than a boxed type here because ..." or "This
> variable is a double and not an integer because ..." to your code - I
> certainly don't. Still, wouldn't that be helpful for newcomers?).

That sounds like exactly the sort of thing I write in my git
commit messages. I hope you do too.

--
Shaun