Re: 3.4 Features, final round

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Florian Müllner <fmuellner gnome org> wrote:
On dom, 2011-11-06 at 22:52 +0100, Seif Lotfy wrote:
> "What you see" for me doesnt necessarily mean that the program
> populates the jumplist alone. It means the items in the jumplist are
> prgram specific.

To me it means that the application is in control of what appears in the
jumplist, not necessarily that it is responsible for specifying the
exact set of items. So I can imagine some "gnome-recent-items" action
which is translated appropriately by the shell if included in
the .desktop file, but I would not expect anything in the jumplist if
the application does not specify anything.

However if the app doesn't specify a list why not have a fallback option.
Mostly you will end up using it in cases like gedit, rhythmbox, totem, epiphany and event documents. In that case I suggest the usage of zeitgeist and not gtk.recentmanager. Since such lists are dynamic i don't find it appropriate to keep updating the .desktop file with recently/most used every time the app is used. If apps really would do that I would suggest them push directly into zeitgeist.

> Unless we provide the recentlyused and mostused files in the .desktop
> file the only way for the jumplist to populate itself with such items
> is if the app is running and pushed them into the jumplists.

I don't agree with the notion that "jumplist == recently/frequently used
files" - for instance for Evolution, I would expect actions like "New
mail" or "Open calendar", but not a list of recently read emails
cluttering the list (even when that data is available in
gtkrecent/zeitgeist).

I comepletely agree with you that jumplists is more than most/recent items. I never claimed otherwise.

Florian

Seif