3.4 Features, final round

Hello all,

It's about time to decide on the major features we'll track for 3.4.
Actually the release team already met yesterday and did a quick round
up of the proposed features, here's a summary (title/url) of them as
well a a quick release team note.

If you feel that something important hasn't been mentioned yet about a
proposal, or if you have questions or comments about them, go ahead
and speak now.

+ Zoom options dialog (universal access)
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-October/msg00140.html
  → Some UI details needs to be worked out, but we want that.

+ Brightness and contrast functionality
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-October/msg00141.html
  → Some techical details needs to be worked out, but want that.

+ Focus caret/tracking in GNOME Shell
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-October/msg00142.html
  → Still need to be started but there is a good plan.

+ Braille Translator for Print Documents
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-October/msg00143.html
  → Good thing, we should push dots to #gnome-design for some polish

+ Information-efficient text-entry interface, driven by natural continuous
  pointing gestures
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-October/msg00144.html
  → We should bring dasher back to the -tested moduleset, and keep an eye on it,
    making sure it builds with our platform changes.

+ Alternative input system based on low-cost webcam
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-October/msg00145.html
  → out at the moment, the feature would need to be integrated to be
    part of GNOME

+ Application menu / Actions
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/ApplicationMenu
  → desrt put out his gio menu model code on a branch, mclasen wrote
    some gtk test code, mclasen needs to push walters to take a stap
    at the shell side, hopes to get a prototype by end of November.

+ Blank slate helps you get started
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/Blank%20slate%20helps%20you%20get%20started
  → it's getting implemented in gedit, seif has been blogging about
    it, not sure how it would fit in other applications (we don't have
    a lot of "create document" applications).

+ Boxes
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/Boxes
  → many commits, mclasen will push the developers to blog a progress report
    once they have something to show

+ Help Menus
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/HelpMenus
  → Shaun has been doing good progress, and reported them recently,
    still unsure about the way it will fit with app menus (this will
    probably need a pass in #gnome-design once we have an app menu
    prototype) but they would be used in other places, so we shouldn't
    block on this.

+ IBus/XKB support
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/IBus
  → many pieces are there, but details remain to be sorted out

+ Jumplists
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/Jumplists
  → didn't heard much opinion of it from designers

+ Network zones
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/NetworkZones
  → many find the idea useful but all designers hate the idea, mclasen
    will update the page to reflect that

+ Lock Screen
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/ScreenLock
  → Jon has started to put designs on the wiki

+ System Dialogs
  https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointThree/Features/SystemDialogs
  → mclasen will ask stef

+ a11y themes
  http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/ThreePointTwo/NiceToHaves
  → the feature page needs to be written, the idea seems to be to
    reuse symbolic icons where possible.

+ improvements in $foobar
  → Documents, network panel, user panel, wacom panel

        Fred