Re: systemd as external dependency

Le vendredi 20 mai 2011 à 10:37 -0400, Shaun McCance a écrit :
> I think Evandro's proposal is fair as well. We could set up a
> wiki page listing D-Bus interfaces we expect to be available.
> And not just for systemd-related things. Don't like PackageKit?
> Fine, whatever, but we expect you to make your stuff implement
> this interface.

PackageKit is a good example of why this is not always a great idea. If
you design an interface based on a given system, you might make
assumptions that make it hard to adapt to other systems.

I don’t think this approach is bad per se, but it requires extra care
while designing the interfaces, and checking how they would be ported to
other OSes, even without actually doing the job.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :