Re: New module proposal: LightDM

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 12:31 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Shaun:
>
> > So the question here is not "Does LightDM better serve
> > the needs of some GNOME-based operating systems?" The
> > question is simply "Should LightDM replace GDM as the
> > display manager for GNOME?"
>
> Perhaps I am confused, but I thought that the recent moduleset
> reorganization was designed to get The GNOME community out of the
> business of having to decide whether to promote one program over
> another, when they do the same sorts of things.  A common example being
> should GNOME promote rhythmbox or banshee?  I did not think there was a
> need to decide whether one should replace the other for both to be
> considered GNOME modules.  Or perhaps I misunderstand the goals of the
> moduleset reorganization.

As Shaun mentioned, apps != core.

We don't promote Banshee over Rhythmbox (as per your example), but we
don't promote alternatives to gdm, gnome-session, gnome-control-center,
gnome-settings-daemon, gdm, nautilus, or gnome-shell (non-exhaustive
list).

> Perhaps "display manager" programs are special in some way that only
> allows for one to be approved at a time.  But I do not remember anyone
> discussing any special considerations like this in this thread.

It's special in that it's one of the programs binding the rest of the OS
with GNOME as a desktop environment. So, yes, it wouldn't be something
for which we'd advertise a replacement unless that replacement was
actually putting GDM out of business.