Re: no external panels for gnome-control-center [was Re: GNOME Feature Proposal: Backup]

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 16:44 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 09:37 +0200, Ted Gould wrote:
> >> Could someone please articulate the GNOME position for downstream
> >> distributors of GNOME technologies?  It seems to me the previous
> >> position was to use the extension points instead of doing vendor
> >> patches.  Yet, without extension points it seems that vendor patches are
> >> the only solution there.
> >
> > For the gnome-control-center, if it's worth having, it should be worth
> > having upstream, and in gnome-control-center directly.
>
> In the context of Ted's request, one obvious case to bear in mind would
> be integrating file sharing via Ubuntu One. That is a system service on
> Ubuntu, and should obviously have its preferences in the "System
> preferences->Sharing" panel.

I don't know about the implementation, but the intent behind the design
of that panel was to allow different sharing services to be added to it
(just like Ubuntu One).

See: http://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/PrivacyAndSharing

Allan
--